Tomorrow is my bro's birthday--Cinco de Mayo baby! In 27 days, it will be mine. Turning 26, so i guess I'm living my last year of my mid-twenties? Fuck, that is a scary thought. Over the past two months, so much shit happened. A lot of it challenged me to think about what it means to be truly happy. Or at least who I thought i was in terms of politics, identity, and self. Much of what happened cannot be mentioned, but i can honestly say i cried day into the night-time thinking about these things and the people involved. Needless to say, i grew so much. And all this within the last two months.
So I thought it'd be useful to write down a list of things i learned after being on this planet for 25 friggin years.
1) happiness doesn't exist. It's important to see the good in every situation.
2) smile. Even if you're hurting like a motherfucker, smile. You trick your mind into thinking you're happy.
3) be nice to everyone. Even the person making your coffee/waiter, the security at your building, or the cleaning lady. If you're not nice to these people, then you a horrible person.
4) talk to your family. Yes, everyone including parents will be social media/phone addicts, but make sure you call or have some face time with them. If they ignore you, then grab their phones and toss it into a toilet bowl.
5) be open-minded. Maybe someone is different from who you are and where you came from, but that doesnt mean y'all can't be friends.
6) try everything. Food, that is. Hahaha, jk, try everything once. And by everything, i mean everything. You'll be smart enough to never do something you dont like again.
7) find something you love to do and get so good at it that even you say "damn!"
8) don't try to impress everyone. Just impress yourself.
9) success is however you define it. Everybody is doing the best they can in whatever they do; if you're not already doing this, it means you're not doing something you love.
10) be ambitious as fuck. Seriously mediocrity is so overrated. Be the best you can be.
11) dream like there's no tomorrow. You wanna be the top of your company or be your own boss? Make that shit happen.
12) it takes time. Nothing happens overnight. Be patient.
13) enjoy the journey. Things don't happen instantly, you make it happen.
14) set goals. Keep yourself accountable please.
15) fuck up, but know it's ok and just keep going.
16) keep fuckin going. There will be thousands of people, or your group of close friends who tell you it'd be impossible. Do it anyway.
17) never let anyone or anything hold you back. Not even your close ones.
18) people come and go, and it is ok. Other people will come along.
19) everyone you meet will teach you something about yourself.
20) do something that makes you happy everyday.
21) be present. As much as you'd like to plan for the future, be present.
22) dont take life too seriously. 23) just have fun! Laugh about mistakes. Loved someone who wasn't worth your time? Laugh about it! You're not losing out. They're losing out. When you find someone you like, have lots of fun with them.
24) don't think. Do everything without hesitation! Yolo.
25) be passionate as fuck about everything that matters. Pati baby!
And I'm still keeping up with this list, so yeah, i'm living. Long live errrrbody! ;)